Subscribe now and instantly hell yes!
get 60+ free templates
In this new video, we talk about how events are the ultimate FOMO generator.
How to Harness the Power of FOMO in Events
In this video, we’re going to talk about how to harness the power of FOMO to engage future attendees by making them SO upset they couldn’t attend, that they’d never think of not coming to your event again.
We’re going to dive into a clinical look at FOMO, why events are the original FOMO generator, and how to plan for FOMO in your marketing strategy.
This video is brought to you by EventMB, in partnership with Umbel, create the ultimate fan experience.
If you can't see the video click here.
Open up Instagram on your phone, right now. What do you see? Pictures of food, a weekend at the lake, maybe some snapshots from a wedding you couldn’t attend. Are you feeling hungry? Aching for a vacation? Or jealous that you couldn’t go to this wedding? THAT my friends, is FOMO - or the Fear of Missing Out, and today, we’re going to talk about how events are the ultimate FOMO generator.
Welcome to the Event Manager Blog video series.
Hey there - Xander here with EventMB. In this video, we’re going to talk about how to harness the power of FOMO to engage future attendees by making them SO upset they couldn’t attend, that they’d never think of not coming to your event again.
We’re going to dive into a clinical look at FOMO, why events are the original FOMO generator, and how to plan for FOMO in your marketing strategy. Let’s go!
What is FOMO?
It’s the Fear of Missing Out. That gut feeling that you are out of the loop or your friends are experiencing something that you’ll never be a part of. It has existed since the beginning of time - when the earth was just a soup of biological matter, and a bunch of cells got together to party and everyone else wanted to join in. Ancient Romans made their way to the Colosseum to watch Gladiators ripped apart by lions just so they could talk about it around the aqueduct the next day at work. We want to be a part of the conversation, so FOMO is an evolutionary adaptation to get us to the thing and participate.
Why Do Events Create FOMO?
Nobody likes to be left out of the action. History is written in the context of historical events - and we always want to be a part of those world-changing experiences. Look at the Great American Eclipse - hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people flocked towards the path of totality so they could see the actual total eclipse instead of a certain percentage. The ability to be a part of that experience and to see the real deal is exactly what these people were looking for, and they weren’t trying to be outsiders looking in.
When your favorite band goes on a reunion tour for the first time in 20 years - you don’t care how much it costs to go - you just HAVE to be there.
Our lives are built on the things we have and the experiences we are a part of, so Events are the perfect tool to create FOMO.
What Are The Tools of FOMO?
How do we create FOMO for our events? There are a couple of things that we are already doing for each of our events that can poke at future attendee’s FOMO.
Create Urgency and Scarcity through your ticket sales. By setting a capacity on your event, you’re already limiting the number of people who can experience your event. Advertise that fact. Let people know how close you are to selling out your event, and they’re going to realize this is their last chance to hop on board.
Be a Tease Share little teasers about your event that stir up some conversation. Who could that performer be? What is that game-changing technology coming out next week? Use social media to create games, share secrets, and make waves before your event to get people to realize something big is about to happen, and they cannot miss it.
Plan to Wow. Every component of your event has the opportunity to stun your guests and get them sharing their excitement with their own friends and family. You can leverage those wow moments in your marketing to impress your potential attendees, but if you surprise your guests with some incredible moments, you can be sure that they are going to share those pictures and videos on social media.
Speaking of Pictures + Video. Those are the fuel on the FOMO fire. Design your event with gorgeous images in mind so that your guests simply MUST post them to Instagram and Facebook. The second your followers see some of the incredible shots, they’ll be heading to your website to find out more. Make sure you capture their excitement quickly by offering an email signup option to future events.
We all have that pang of jealousy when we see our friends doing amazing things. Whether it is a skydiving video, a picture of an incredible meal or a shot of them being crowd surfed through the throngs of people at an outdoor festival. FOMO is VERY real, and you can use it to attract more attendees to your events. Be smart about your marketing strategy, and you can tap into that FOMO before the event, and strike hard DURING your event to make people realize your next event CANNOT be missed.
Thank you for tuning in for this video: Events: The Ultimate FOMO Generator.
Remember to subscribe to EventMB on YouTube and Facebook and if you enjoyed the video, give us a thumbs up!
Thanks for watching.
Other EventMB Videos
Why not check out some of our previous videos:
- 5 Signs Event Planning Is Not For You
- The 5 Things People Always Ask Event Planners
- 6 Secret Reasons Why People Really Attend Events
- The Secret Formula to Event Swag
- How to Start an Event Planning Company from Home
- Event Planning - the Worst and Best Job in the World
- How to Drive More Attendees to Exhibitor Booths
- 5 Trends In Event Mobile Apps
- Get More Sponsors for Your Events
- The 5 Hottest Trends in Corporate Events
- 5 Event Tech Trends To Watch in 2017
- The Three T’s of Being A Successful Event Planner
- The Harsh Realities of Being An Event Planner
- 5 Times Event Tech Saved My Event
- How Event Planners Stretch their Dollars
- 4 Marketing Mistakes Event Planners Make
- The 6 Skills of Successful Event Planners
- 5 Ways to Get Event Planning Experience
- 6 Ways to Find Clients for Your Event Planning Business
- 5 Tips for Planning the Perfect Startup Event
- 5 Eventtech Tools to Use at Your Next Conference
- Why Event Planners and Venues Drive Each Other Insane
- 5 Tips to Get the Most Out of Your Conference Speakers
- Will Millennials Kill The Event Industry?
- 6 Things You Must Do After Your Event is Over
- 10 Easy Steps to Get into Event Planning
- 5 Secrets to Creating Winning Event Proposals
- 5 Ways You Should Be Using Music At Your Events
- The Event Planner’s Travel Chronicles: Anaheim
- Event Planners: The Leaders of The Experience Economy
- How To Work with Influencers to Promote Your Event
- How to Sell Out Your Event Using Data
- How to Choose a Speaker that will Resonate with your Audience
- How Artificial Intelligence is Changing Events
- 5 Ways Event Planners Can Get More From Networking