Join over 60,000 subscribers that use EventMB to stay on top of How to's, Trends & Event Technology.
In this new video, we share some tips that you can begin implementing immediately to look after your mental and physical well-being, to ensure you are the best version of you.
How to Deliver Amazing Events Without Compromising Your Well-Being?
In recent years, instead of just accepting the fact that the events industry will leave you feeling stressed, tired, eating terribly and with a very unbalanced work-life balance - more and more attention has been focused on the overall well-being of Events Professionals.
Here at EventMB, we believe that there is a way to look after your well-being despite the fast-paced nature of events.
This video is brought to you by EventMB, the number one blog for event professionals.
If you can't see the video click here.
It is a well-known and probably overused fact that working in events is regularly ranked as the fifth most stressful profession… falling closely behind jobs such as commercial pilots and firefighters. In recent years, instead of just accepting the fact that the events industry will leave you feeling stressed, tired, eating terribly and with a very unbalanced work life balance - more and more attention has been focused on the overall well-being of Events Professionals.
What are the best and healthiest catering choices for conferences? Is it okay to take a sick day to look after your mental health? Should you drink at every industry event? And, most importantly, is it possible to continue delivering amazing events, week on week, without your well-being suffering?
This video will share some tips that you can begin implementing immediately to look after your mental and physical well-being, to ensure you are the best version of you.
Hi, I’m Elena and this video is brought to you by the Event Manager Blog video series, EventMB is the number one blog for event professionals.
Achieving Well-Being literally means reaching a state where you feel happy, comfortable and/or healthy.
For a few years now, the concept of well-being and topics surrounding it, such as mindfulness, have gained a lot of traction and spread quickly, even into school curriculums. It has been reported that in the UK alone, over 45% of companies currently have a well-being strategy in place for their employees, and Forbes states that the number of US businesses doing this too has grown. These can include things such as mental health support, free or subsidised gym memberships, and free fresh fruit/vegetables on site.
For a lot of us, such strategies might seem impossible to implement in our industry where no two days or locations are the same. But here at EventMB we believe that there is a way to look after your well-being despite the fast-paced nature of events.
Not just of others! Taking a few moments to focus on yourself and practice mindfulness has been proven to reduce stress levels and can enable a person to become more focussed and productive. There are YouTube tutorials, books and classes on this, but the most popular way – and likely the most ideal for event professionals – is to download an app and use it for around 10 minutes a day. This can be in the morning before you get out of bed, or even on a train or in the back of an Uber on your way to work.
Watch Your Mouth
A growing number of venues and caterers are putting more thought into the catering they offer at events. We all know that generic event catering can often be unhealthy, stodgy and doesn't leave you feeling the best - especially crew catering. Now, working with event managers to discover what delegates are supposed to feel throughout an event, caterers can help tailor the food to match. For example energy boosting foods at a conference lunch- or brain foods at breakfast meetings instead of sugary pastries. Putting more thought into the food we consume on and off site can have considerable impacts on our well being.
Do What Makes You Happy
Yes, this sounds cheesy, but it does work. We all know about serotonin and the positive effects this can have on your mood and general outlook. Work out the things which genuinely make you happy, and try to remember/do them when you feel like everything is getting on top of you. This can be as simple as going for a walk around your local park, watching your favourite show or film, or catching up with your friends. Sure, some things are easier to do at work that others, but once you know the exact things that can switch up your mood – your mental health might be a little easier to maintain.
It’s not just for putting on or losing weight! Could you walk to work instead of taking the bus, could you join the five-a-side league after work, could you fit that HiiT class in this weekend? Like it or loathe it, exercise is proven to be extremely beneficial for the body and mind. Especially to help clear your mind, which is often when the best ideas come to you.
Talk To Someone
This is possibly the most important. In the high pressure of this industry, and with social media pushed under our noses at every opportunity, it can be easy to think that you are the only one struggling with stresses or anxiety. It is important to note that everyone has things that they don’t share on social media. Even though it might seem like all your peers are producing kick ass events every other day, and seeing their family, and going to yoga, and travelling the world EVERY month… it is important to remember that not everything is as perfect as it seems. Mental pressure and breakdowns are really real – and by talking to someone you can help alleviate your anxieties. This can be a trusted colleague, a friend or a professional.
That’s it for this video, some of our top tips for event professionals to look after their well-being. Let us know if you have any other methods you can recommend for looking after your well-being, and share this video with anyone you think could benefit from this video.
Thanks again for watching. Be sure to subscribe to our channel, and find us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!
Other EventMB Videos
Why not check out some of our previous videos:
- 5 Signs Event Planning Is Not For You
- The 5 Things People Always Ask Event Planners
- 6 Secret Reasons Why People Really Attend Events
- The Secret Formula to Event Swag
- How to Start an Event Planning Company from Home
- Event Planning - the Worst and Best Job in the World
- How to Drive More Attendees to Exhibitor Booths
- 5 Trends In Event Mobile Apps
- Get More Sponsors for Your Events
- The 5 Hottest Trends in Corporate Events
- 5 Event Tech Trends To Watch in 2017
- The Three T’s of Being A Successful Event Planner
- The Harsh Realities of Being An Event Planner
- 5 Times Event Tech Saved My Event
- How Event Planners Stretch their Dollars
- 4 Marketing Mistakes Event Planners Make
- The 6 Skills of Successful Event Planners
- 5 Ways to Get Event Planning Experience
- 6 Ways to Find Clients for Your Event Planning Business
- 5 Tips for Planning the Perfect Startup Event
- 5 Eventtech Tools to Use at Your Next Conference
- Why Event Planners and Venues Drive Each Other Insane
- 5 Tips to Get the Most Out of Your Conference Speakers
- Will Millennials Kill The Event Industry?
- 6 Things You Must Do After Your Event is Over
- 10 Easy Steps to Get into Event Planning
- 5 Secrets to Creating Winning Event Proposals
- 5 Ways You Should Be Using Music At Your Events
- The Event Planner’s Travel Chronicles: Anaheim
- Event Planners: The Leaders of The Experience Economy
- How To Work with Influencers to Promote Your Event
- How to Sell Out Your Event Using Data
- How to Choose a Speaker that will Resonate with your Audience
- How Artificial Intelligence is Changing Events
- 5 Ways Event Planners Can Get More From Networking
- Events: The Ultimate FOMO Generator